Friday 12 September 2014

Montage Filmmaking

Montage Filmmaking
 
The plan for A2 is to produce a short montage film. To do this I must ensure that I have conducted a sufficient amount of indepth research on the chosen genre/type of film.
 
 
Montage Filmmaking
 
Montage is a technique used in film editing in which a series of short shots are edited into a sequence to condense space, time and information. This term has been used in various contexts, it was first introduced in cinema primarly by Einstein. As well as this, early Soviet directors used it as a synonym for creative editing. The montage sequence is usually used to suggest the passage of time, rather than to create symbolic meaning. Between the 1930s and the 1950s montage sequences often combined numerous short shots with special optical effects, such as fades, split screens, double and triple exposures as well as dissolves, dance and music.
They were usually assembled by someone other than the director or editor of the movie
 
 
Things To Do (Pre-Production)
 
- Firstly, I must plan the most effective way to film the scenes of the film. I must consider the resources I have around me and are available to me, for example, the locations, props, people. As well as this I must consider what message or story I want to send through it.
I must ensure that all information is presented in a fast-paced, yet easily understood way.
> If my goal is to establish a tone or emotional development through the film, I must think through how to be consistent in the things like lighting, props, and scenery - I must ensure that I stay consistent as this will help me convey my message.
 
- Secondly, I must type up the individual scenes or sequences of my montage (this will be documented through blogger also.) I must ensure that I know exactly what I want to produce, how I want to produce it and what will feature with in this production.
 
- Thirdly, storyboard. I must storyboard my production to show development and change. As well as this, having a storyboard will also help me with my production completely - it will help me keep on track with what I want to produce and what shots I have in mind. My storyboard should roughly match what the final filmed montage will look like. I will make adjustments if necessary.
 
- Lastly, I must plan the shoot using the storyboard as well as my research. I should make a list of shots by location and note what actresses/actors, props, costumes, lighting and scenery will be needed at each venue/location.
 
 
The clip below is taken from Sergei Eisenstein's 'Battleship Potemkin.' This combination of shots shows a marble lion reacting to the sailors' rebellion within the harbor. Eisenstein integrates lions scultped in various postures to suggest that all of Moscow is awakening to the people's cause. The sequence requires the viewer to interpret to 'read' the metaphor inherent in the statues and to find a meaning from their presence within the diegesis.
  

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment